Avocados are so delicious that you can eat them on their own. In fact, if you lived on them alone, you would still be very healthy. You can have avocados anytime, be it breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This fruit also goes well with other foods, like prawn cocktail, brown or white toast, salads, etc.
What makes avocados the healthiest fruits?
Avocados have an abundance of healthy fats, potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, as well as vitamins C, K, B5, B3, B6, and folate.
Besides containing trace elements of other vitamins, they are also low in cholesterol and carbohydrates. Nonetheless, you should eat them in moderation when diagnosed with diabetes or when on a weight loss diet.
Here is the best and easiest recipe with an Avocado:
Strawberry and avocado salad
What you need
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- White sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 4 teaspoons
- An avocado
- Torn salad greens – 2 cups
- Sliced strawberries – 10
- Pecans – 1/2 cup
- Place the salad greens on the bottom of a plate.
- Peel and slice the avocado and then add it on top of the salad greens.
- Place your strawberries alongside the avocado.
- Next, sprinkle the pecans over it.
- Drizzle with honey.
This is a real summer salad that you can enjoy in a picnic or a long summer lunch. You can also have it on its own or with a grilled chicken breast!
- You can also use avocados to make a great and tangy salsa, or a guacamole.
- It is advisable to get your kids eating avocados at an early age, as they’re extremely healthy.
How to choose your avocado
Avocados can have a black, purple, green, or dark green skin. They shouldn’t be too hard when you buy them. Ensure you can put your finger in and feel some softness. An avocado that is too soft will be overripe, whereas one that is very hard would take ages to ripen or may not ripen at all.
If you’ve picked an avocado that is not ripe, simply wrap it in some newspaper and then store it in a relatively dark place. Your avocado will ripen in a few days. If you want it to ripen faster, just place it next to a ripened banana!
It is advisable to always buy your avocados from an organic health store or greengrocer, to reduce the chances of buying genetically modified fruits. Nonetheless, whether organic or not, avocados are excellent for your health.
Health benefits of the avocado
- High in fiber.
- Low in saturated fats.
- Packed with Vitamin A, C, E and everything in between.
- Few carbohydrates.
- Low in cholesterol.
- Manganese, magnesium, phosphorous and copper.
- Low in sodium.
- Tasty and delicious.
Where to get avocados?
You can buy avocados from your local whole food store, a supermarket, or any health store. You can also have your own avocado tree at home, with an unlimited supply of the great fruit.