There’s many reasons your sex life may have hit a brick wall. Maybe you’re going through a breakup. Perhaps you or your partner has been sick. Or maybe it’s just life, kids, work, or travel getting in the way.
A few days can turn into weeks or months, and before you know it, you haven’t had sex in so long that you kind of stop missing it. Except, not having it has just become your new normal.
We all go through our sexual ruts from time to time. And while they suck in the respect that we’re not getting any and we’re bitter about it, it turns out that our body is having very REAL reactions to the lack of nookie.
Some of those reactions are pretty intense. From mental issues like decreased concentration and feeling sad, to lack of libido, to increased risk for health issues, lack of sex is about a lot more than being horny.
So next time that guy you’re dating tells you he will DIE if he doesn’t get with you, he may not be a liar. He’s still probably an assh*le, but he may be an honest one. Here are ten things that can happen to you if you stop having sex.
1. You’re get sick more often.Dr Cory B. Honickman says our immune system gets weaker when we’re not getting any. Want to avoid the cold and flu? Have more sex. Sounds like a win-win preposition if you ask us.
2. Your stress levels increase.You can get more anxious because there’s a decrease in “feel good” hormones being released, says Dr. Honickman. Lack of sex is stressful. Even studies have shown that when you’re going through a sex rut, you absolutely have a harder time dealing with stress-inducing situations.
3. You have a harder time getting aroused.On the other hand, men could begin to suffer from erectile dysfunction, specifically premature ejaculation. (Hey, the penis IS a muscle. It’s like they say at the gym: use it or lose it.)
4. Your dreams change.On the positive side of things, you may start having sex dreams or even orgasm in your sleep. It’s not the same as the real deal, but it’s a nice substitute.
5. You lose urge to have sex.Dr. Honickman says that you will start to want sex less if you haven’t gotten any in a while. Your libido is going to feel off or different than it normally does. And it’s normal that it feels abnormal.
6. You grow apart from your partner.If you’re in a relationship, you may start getting insecure about the connection you have with your honey. To that end, other people are going to become more attractive to you. Take this as a sign that a healthy sex life is important.
7. You self-esteem might suffer.You may feel less attractive and more sad. It’s believed semen has anti-depressant qualities — and no, that’s not just something men have made up so we blow them. Using a condom can have these negative reactions as well.
8. For men, the risk for prostate cancer rises.It’s more than your immune system. Dr. Honickman says a man’s risk for prostate cancer rises if they go without having sex for long periods of time. That seems pretty unfair. No orgasms AND you might die. Thanks, universe.
9. Your vaginal walls get weaker.Having sex can be like a workout for your Kegels. So even if you aren’t getting any, it’s important to remember to do your Kegel exercises on a daily basis.
10. Your risk of STIs will decrease.Hey, there’s a silver lining for everything. And interestingly, so does your risk of UTIs. Most of these occur within 24 hours of having sex. No sex, majorly decreased chance of infection.