Being overweight is a major global problem and even the WHO has warned that if care is not taken half the world’s population will be overweight.
There are even communities around the world where more than 40% of the population is overweight.
The most alarming aspect of it all is infant obesity which is on the increase these days.
Obesity and it’s health problems
Being overweight comes with numerous health issues some of these health concerns include;
- A higher risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Increased risk of cardiovascular conditions.
- A myriad of digestive disorders.
- Gout, ulcers and thyroid issues.
- It can also lead to both physical and psychological stress.
The problem with obese people is that they tend to consume more food than they need.
Studies have shown that about a third of the world’s population eat about 50% more food than their body require.
What does it mean to be overweight?
You will gain weight quite easily when;
- you live a sedentary lifestyle.
- you don’t pay particular attention to your health.
- you have poor or inadequate sleep.
- you have poor eating habits.
- or you eat too much fried food, processed food, refined sugar, alcoholic, caffeine and carbonated beverages.
How do you know if you are overweight?
You need to know if you are overweight or not.
You can check your waist-to-hip (WTH) ratio. The fat percentage shown can indicate to you if you are overweight or not.
An acceptable established percentage for women is 25%.
Another way of knowing if you are overweight or not is by knowing your lean body mass or BMI, however it can be quite misleading.
Your clothes is a simpler way of knowing if you are over or under weight.
If your clothes are suddenly tight then you may have to watch your weight, also if it suddenly free or loose then you may have lost some weight.
Diet to loose weight quickly
If you are overweight you should consider making a diet plan to get yourself back into shape.
Ideally you should develop a diet plan that works for you, but if you don’t know how to prepare one then you can start by following these essential tips;
- Eat small portions of food at a time, rather than large meals at once.
- Try to avoid drinking water during meals.
- Go on a liquid vases diet comprising of milk and soup. Make sure that about 30% of your daily meals is liquid based.
- Drink less of carbonated, caffeine, canned juice and alcohol beverages.
- Try to avoid eating after 8pm, eat a fruit or drink a glass of milk as a late night snack if hungry.
- Consume more of fruits in season, salad or smoothies and lime juice as snacks, but don’t eat snacks more than four times daily.
- Drink lukewarm water first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
- Avoid processed foods as much as possible and that includes ; fried foods, canned foods, flour based foods, hot dogs, pizza, cakes and all pastries. As they have preservatives and chemicals that are bad for you.
- Eat steamed veggies as often as possible.
- Engage in exercises; try taking a 15 minute stroll prior to a meal.