The 3 Kinds Of Leftovers That You Should NEVER Eat Again

Leftovers are something that most of us have a love-hate relationship with.  We love the fact that it takes a few minute in the microwave to make them ready to eat but we hate that their taste is not as good as when they were freshly made. But, there are certain foods which need to be thrown away if you can`t eat them since leaving them for leftovers is a dangerous thing to do.

1.      RICE

According to the Food Standards Agency, uncooked rice most likely contains detrimental bacteria which survive through the initial cooking process.  If the leftover rice is not properly stored or exposed to the wrong temperature, the bacteria will multiply and cause digestive issues, such as vomiting or diarrhea.

 

Re-heating rice won`t help since these bacteria have the ability to survive extremely hot temperatures. The best thing you can do is to eat all the rice after it is cooked.  In case you do have any leftover, make sure you refrigerate or freeze it right after finishing with it.  Never let the rice sit at room temperature more than an hour.

2.      VEGETABLE OIL

Reheating meals made with vegetable oil is associated with an increased risk of heart disease, cancer, and stroke. According to a recent research, heating up oils that have linoleic acid, such as sunflower, soybean, corn, and canola oils, may release a toxic compound which is linked with many health issues.

That toxin is called 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal (HNE) and it is actually a fatty acid-derived toxin. Many studies link this toxin with serious health issues, such as cancer, liver problems, cardiovascular disease, stroke, Alzheimer`s disease, Huntington`s disease, and Parkinson`s disease.

Jeannie Moloo, the American Dietetic Association spokeswoman says that heating vegetables frequently and too can release HNE.

“If a person is concerned about the health aspects of HNE, then my recommendations would be to never heat any oil to the point of smoking and, as far as cooking at home goes, just use the oil one time,” she explained.

3.      VEGETABLES

Contrary to popular belief, reheating leafy greens doesn’t make them poisonous. As a matter of fact, what makes them toxic is the way they are stored.

According to the Center for Food Safety, leftover vegetables should be stored at place where the temperature doesn’t exceed 4 degrees Celsius. In case you plan to store them for longer than 12 hours, freeze them.

Many vegetables, such as spinach, celery, beets, and lettuce, are high in nitrate. This compound is not detrimental itself, but leaving it out at room temperature leads to accumulation of nitrite.

Nitrite is detrimental to infants and young children as it leads to methaemoglobinaemia, a disorder which is manifested by fatigue, headaches, seizures, and shortness of breath.

 

Source:  besthealthyguide.com

Comments

comments