Statistics show that in the period between 1999 and 2003 there were nearly 30,000 cases of heart attack and sudden cardiac death due to Vioxx usage.
A study in 2000 proved that these medications are associated with heart attack and strokes and cause increased heart rate. According to another study published in Lancet, NSAID drugs usage can double the risk of heart attack and heart failure. However, FDA, Merck and other pharmaceutical companies, remained silent on the issue.
The reason why people use NSAID drugs such as ibuprofen
Nowadays, pain and inflammation are common health conditions, and the best way to prevent and treat these conditions is to change your daily diet and lifestyle. In order to maintain or restore proper health, we should always opt for a healthy food, regular exercise and reduced stress levels.
Unfortunately, many people, either due to lack of time, or lack of will, choose the easier, but harmful, alternative, to instantly relieve pain. These over-the counter drugs, such as ibuprofen, negative effect on people`s health.
These side effects of ibuprofen and drugs of that kind are associated with numerous adverse health effects. These include DNA damage, hypertension, anemia, miscarriage, increased risk of heart attack and sudden cardiac death, influenza and hearing loss.
Moreover, these side effects can result from the use of any of the whole group of anti-inflammatory and non-steroidal drugs.
Research has found numerous natural alternatives to Ibuprofen, which offer even better results on health, and no side effects. These include:
- Holy Basil – The compounds of the Holy Basil possess anti-inflammatory properties comparable to aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen (found in a study from 2000);
- Anthocyanin from Raspberries and Sweet Cherries – The power of this favorable ingredient is equal to that of naproxen and ibuprofen in suppressing inflammation-associated enzyme familiar as cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 (a study from 2001)
- Chinese Skullcap (baicalin) – Chinese Skullcap contains a substance known as baicalin which is equally effective as ibuprofen in reducing pain (animal study from 2003);
- John’s Wort – This beneficial herb is twice stronger and more effective than ibuprofen an analgesic (an animal study from 2004);
- Omega-3 fatty acids – 1200-2400 mg of Omega- 3 fatty acids on a daily basis have the same effect as ibuprofen for relieving arthritis pain, and with less side effects (human study from 2006);
- Olive oil – This extremely healthy oil contains a substance called Oleocanthal which has anti-inflammatory effects similar to those of ibuprofen;
- Topical Arnica – it is extremely beneficial for hand osteoarthritis, and the risk of side effects is a lot lower (study published in 2007);
- Panax Ginseng – Possesses anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties similar to those in ibuprofen, which also indicates its possible anti-rheumatoid arthritis properties (an animal study from 2008);
- Ginger – For pain relief in menstrual cycles in women, ginger capsules (250 mg 4 times a day) are equally effective as mefenamic acid and ibuprofen (study published in 2009);
- Combination of Vitamin C, Ginkgo biloba, and Astaxanthin – This potent combination is equal to and even better than ibuprofen in reducing asthma-associated respiratory inflammation (animal study from 2011);